Monday, December 20, 2010

Hello Lorain, It's Me Again (!)

Don't worry, this blog is on my list of New Year's resolutions. Now for a short PSA:

I know it might be against company policy to socially network during office hours but I think this might be an exception: Facebook for a cause. 

As part of Walmart's $2 billion commitment to fight against hunger the chain has initiated a Facebook campaign inviting the 100 metropolitan areas with the highest rates of food hardship to compete for $1.5 million.  Each metro area has a community page. The community page with the most support will win and the next five highest pages will each be awarded $100,000. 

So... with just two clicks  (Click this link, Click "like")  you can support the Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor community page and support the local fight against hunger. Your minimal effort can have a big impact. Two clicks. 

Support the Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor community page!

Voices of hunger after the jump.

Here is an except from yesterday's Connie Schultz column in the PD:
I'm done talking. Here are some of the people -- in their own words -- who depend on pantries served by the Cleveland Foodbank. They wrote messages on paper plates, about 1,500 so far, to be delivered to state legislators in Columbus:

"I've been working for over 25 years and never needed any kind of help. I've lost my job two months ago and if this food pantry wasn't available we'd be hungry at least 1 week at the end of the month. Please keep up, so people like myself have it in their time of need. Thank you."

"I have two people in my house unemployed unable to find work. I work at Wendy's for very little money but just enough to make me ineligible for help. I also have a 151/2 year old. The food assist is great because the money I save not buying food I can use toward my bills & rent. I am fortunate to be up to date on bills and rents thanks to this program. Thank you. Times are very hard on everyone. Thanks."

"Well I have been a welder 4 20 years. Unfortunately the career I chose hasn't been favorable for employment so, I come to this food center for food assistance as well as the nice people, sometimes a hot meal and a very friendly, welcoming staff! I had to cut back to keep up! I have enrolled in school and where this year wasn't that great, guess what? There's always tomorrow!"

"Just started working minimum wage job can't make ends meet. Get sick its medicine or food. The pantry helps because I will be able to save a little every month and hopefully become self-sufficient."

"My unemployment has run out I am 60 years old + no one will hire me in my job field or any other job -- rent runs out November + will be on the street in our van."

"Can't afford our health insurance anymore, will have to cancel in January 2011. Disconnection notices on utilities. Behind on our mortgage. At least get some food from the foodbank. My husband and I are both working. Can't survive anymore."

"For people living in this zip code, many of us had good careers. But due to illness our things of that nature we live here. We feel blessed that other communities help with these pantries. We are all important even if we are poor. Thanks for caring."

No comments:

Post a Comment